FY23 MRVPD Work Plan
(March 2022-February 2023)
The Work Plan is updated annually to reflect changing and ongoing priorities and initiatives.
MRVPD's Work Domains & Strategic Priorities
Enhance efforts to improve the affordability and efficiency of MRV homes, with particular attention to rentals and lower-income households.
MRV Housing Coalition is well supported & positioned as an independent organization. Selectboards agree on next steps for Short-Term Rentals.
Support efforts to increase sustainable and active transportation options, safety, and improvements.
GMT bus serves residents and visitors, and increases ridership. Implement 2 active transportation initiatives.
Identify, promote & safeguard the Valley’s historic and cultural heritage.
Increase community awareness of and
participation in rural heritage. Promote & safeguard rural resources for the next generation.
Play a leading role in helping the region to achieve greater equity and informed data-driven decision-making.
Increase community-wide data literacy, access & usability of data. Wellbeing Survey respondents accurately represents MRV.
Focus on wayfinding, placemaking, and establishing a consistent identity for the MRV.
Create a consistent, unified Valley identity highlighting vibrant 4-season gathering spaces.
Encourage development and preservation consistent with Smart Growth principles (mixed land use, range of housing options, preservation of open space, walkable communities, strong sense of place).
Villages reflect Smart Growth principles, especially in the Irasville Growth Center.
Enhance the Valley’s year-round recreational opportunities to bolster the four-season recreation economy.
Continue implementing a coherent Valley-wide network of trails & stewardship that diversifies the traditional resort economy.
Balance ecological health with recreation, development and human impacts.
Support the development of more affordable workforce housing in the Valley to serve Sugarbush.
Help the region reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to the physical, environmental, and social impacts of climate change and natural hazards.
Ensure measurable progress is made towards climate resilience & mitigation.
Promote and maintain a diverse economy that supports existing businesses and attracts new ones.
Diversified, thriving MRV economy post-pandemic, reflected in our annual Data Report.
Partner with our towns to promote regional collaboration, enhance effectiveness, and increase efficiency.
Three member towns are empowered to make the best planning & development decisions for the Mad River Valley.
Activities & Tasks
- MRVHC (Organizational Support)
- Research and propose options for municipalities to manage Short-Term Rentals
- Development support for housing projects
- Support towns Land Use Development Regulations re: Housing
- MRV TAC (Meeting facilitation, outreach, membership growth, minutes, admin)
- Support and guide GMT's MRV seasonal bus service
- Provide technical support for member-led initiatives (e.g. pedestrian safety, articles)
- Implement 4 pedestrian safety transportation projects to increase sustainable, safe, accessible transportation options (2 in Warren, 2 in Waitsfield)
- Install/analyze pedestrian counters
- Assist VTrans & Town of Waitsfield with VT 17/100 Project
- Explore partnerships and funding mechanisms to support town transportation needs.
- Reconstitute the MRV Rural Resources Commission
- Identify & share funding opportunities for historic preservation (ex. CLG Grant)
- Administer CLG Grant
- Boyce Hill Town Forest Project
- Create educational material tied to rural heritage
- Launch & communicate MRV Community Dashboard
- Repeat Community Wellbeing Survey with goal of increased respondent diversity
- Annual data report, communication & incorporation
- Maintain/communicate Trails Data layer
- Identify, share & support towns with funding opportunities (Better Places, Downtown Transportation Fund, etc.)
- Creative Winter Placemaking project for 22-23
- Activate 1 public gathering space in 2022 (e.g.: Warren Green)
- Byway Signage Upgrade
- Support Waitsfield with the Irasville Growth Plan
- Support MRVRD as VOREC project manager
- Disseminate trail mapping efforts
- Support Valley-Wide Recreation Collaboration
- MRV Trails Collaborative
- Provide project review; proposed 2023 projects include employee housing village, snowmaking weir
- MOU Revisions
- Integrate Sugarbush data into Dashboard
- Support/Co-host Climate Talks with Friends of the Mad River
- Grant Support
- Data Sharing
- Attend municipal meetings as appropriate
- Zoning Administrator regular meetings & support
- Support towns with ARPA funding
- Tri-Town Leadership Meeting
- MRVPD Steering Committee meetings
- Workshops/Conferences/Continuing Education
- Office Admin
Bio-regional perspective and impact
Data and research
Partnerships and collaboration
Innovation and creativity